If you or someone you know is in danger call the police on 000.
We provide legal advice and education to LGBTIQ+ people about family violence.
A family violence intervention order protects people from other family members who are using family violence.
Family members can include intimate partners, domestic partners, parents and children, as well as carers or guardians. The LGBTIQ Legal Service can provide you with advice and in some cases court representation.
We can provide advice about:
- Family violence, including family violence intervention orders
- Ending a relationship, including divorce and arrangements for children (no properly law)
- Ending or creating a tenancy due to family violence
- Criminal law where the issuing of the charges arises in the context of family violence
- Debt or infringements arising in the context of family violence
- Victims of crime compensation (VOCAT) where the violence relates to family violence
- Police complaints concerning the handling of family violence
If you live in Victoria and have a legal issue set out above, please get in touch.
LGBTIQ Family Violence Referral Resource
Our LGBTIQ Family Violence referral Resources is designed to support LGBTIQ+ people who have been affected by family violence to access culturally safe and inclusive support services. Accessing support is often crucial to increasing safety and ensuring you can make the best decisions when you have been affected by family violence.