LGBTIQ+ family violence

If you or someone you know is in immediate danger call the police on 000.

Family violence

We provide legal advice and education to LGBTIQ+ people about family violence.

family violence intervention order protects people from other family members who are using family violence.

Family members can include intimate partners, domestic partners, parents and children, as well as carers or guardians. The LGBTIQ Legal Service can provide you with advice and in some cases court representation.

We can provide advice about:

  • Family violence, including family violence intervention orders
  • Ending a relationship, including divorce and arrangements for children (no properly law)
  • Ending or creating a tenancy due to family violence
  • Criminal law where the issuing of the charges arises in the context of family violence
  • Debt or infringements arising in the context of family violence
  • Victims of crime compensation (VOCAT) where the violence relates to family violence
  • Police complaints concerning the handling of family violence

Get help

If you live in Victoria and have a legal issue set out above, please get in touch.

LGBTIQ Family Violence Referral Resource

Our LGBTIQ Family Violence referral Resources is designed to support LGBTIQ+ people who have been affected by family violence to access culturally safe and inclusive support services. Accessing support is often crucial to increasing safety and ensuring you can make the best decisions when you have been affected by family violence.

Download the LGBTIQ Family Violence Referral Resource

If you need to talk to someone about your situation

Rainbow Door: 1800 729 367 call or 0480 017 246 (SMS) Victorian LGBTIQ+ support and referral service, 10am – 5pm, everyday
QLife (Switchboard): 1800 184 527, or webchat, peer support and referral service, 3pm – 12am everyday of the week
Safe Steps: 1800 015 188, Victoria’s 24/7 family violence response service, can provide crisis accommodation
Lifeline: 13 11 14, national 24/7 crisis support service
1800RESPECT: 1800 737 732, national 24/7 sexual assault, family and domestic violence counselling line

Need to speak to the Police

If you need to contact the Police you can ask to speak to an LGBTIQ Liaison Officer at your local Police Station (LLO previously known as GLLOs). LLOs provide discrete advice and support to LGBTIQ+ people when reporting a crime. Find out more about LLOs.