What we do

We provide free help for LGBTIQ people in Victoria with their legal problems

Help with LGBTIQ community-specific legal needs

LGBTIQ communities can have particular legal issues relating to their identities, including:

  • Discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, blood-borne virus status or lawful sexual activity
  • Employment issues (e.g. unfair dismissal or bullying or harassment at work)
  • Change of name and change of gender marker issues
  • Police, judiciary or Corrections complaints
  • Health complaints
  • Privacy complaints
  • Family violence (e.g. misidentification of affected family member or respondent based on LGBTIQ status, IVO applications affecting trans and gender diverse young people)
  • Victims of crime compensation (VOCAT)

If you live in Victoria and have a legal issue related to your LGBTIQ identity, then please get in touch.

Family violence

We provide legal advice and education to LGBTIQ people about family violence.

Family members can include intimate partners, domestic partners, parents and children, as well as carers or guardians. The LGBTIQ Legal Service can provide you with advice and in some cases court representation. Contact us make an appointment.

If you or someone you know is in danger call the police on 000.

Advice about everyday legal issues

We can also provide advice to trans and gender diverse people living in Victoria and clients of Thorne Harbour Health with their everyday legal problems such as:

  • Criminal law
  • Personal safety intervention orders
  • Evictions and tenancy disputes
  • Fines and debt
  • Centrelink issues (such as Disability Support Pension and debt appeals)
  • Health complaints
  • Employment issues (e.g. unfair dismissal)

If you are a current Thorne Harbour Health client, ask your worker for a referral. If you are a trans and gender diverse person living in Victoria, please get in touch, or ask Transgender Victoria for a referral.


The LGBTIQ Legal Service can also provide referrals to private law firms, health services and housing organisations that have expressed a desire to offer safe and inclusive services to the LGBTIQ community. If you need a referral, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.


Ongoing legal representation (casework) is decided on a case-by-case basis. As a small non-profit organisation, we are unable to take on all matters.

Translators and interpreters

We are able to provide phone translation services for languages other than English. Please call TIS National on 131 450 and ask them to call us. Alternatively, please email us at [email protected] with the language you speak and the number you would like us to call you on, and we will call you with an interpreter during business hours.

What we can’t help with

As a small community legal centre, we unfortunately cannot help with these areas of law:

Family Law

Family law includes parenting disputes, child custody arrangements, property settlement and IVF legal issues.

If you are LGBTIQ and need help with a family law issue and have a connection with the City of Darebin or the City of Yarra, please contact Fitzroy Legal Service on (03) 9419 3744.

Alternatively, please contact Victoria Legal Aid on 1300 792 387.

Immigration Law

If you need free immigration law advice, you can contact Refugee Legal on Wednesdays and Fridays between 10 am and 2 pm.

If you are an asylum seeker you can contact the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre on (03) 9326 6066.

Alternatively, you can Victoria Legal Aid on 1300 792 387.

Justice Connect

Justice Connect can help connect people experiencing disadvantage with private lawyers, and can also provide assistance in not-for-profit law for small community groups. Get help here.

Private Lawyers

If you need a referral to a private lawyer, please contact the Law Institute of Victoria on 9607 9550.

Other service providers

Depending on your needs, there are lots of other service providers who might be able to help you, many of which are also free. Visit our page of recommendations here.